About Our Attorneys
Thomas G. Whatley, Jr.
Thomas G. Whatley, Jr. is a partner with Howard & Whatley, P.C. He specializes in defending businesses and individuals in civil actions in the State Courts and Superior Courts throughout Georgia. Tom also practices in the United States District Courts in the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia. Mr. Whatley further represents employers and insurers throughout the state in claims pending before the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation. He is a member of the Atlanta Bar Association, the Savannah Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the Defense Research Institute, the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association and the Lawyers’ Foundation of Georgia.
Mr. Whatley received his B.B.A. from the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia and his J.D. from the Emory University School of Law in Atlanta, Georgia. While at Emory, Mr. Whatley was a member of the Emory Law School Moot Court Special Teams. He also had the privilege of working an internship as a Clerk for Justice Richard Bell of the Georgia Supreme Court.
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Athens, Georgia, B.B.A., 1983
- Insurance Defense litigation
- Workers Compensation defense litigation
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Trucking/Transportation accident defense litigation
- Motor Vehicle accident defense litigation
- Premises Liability defense litigation
- Timber Rights/Overcut defense litigation
- Insurance Coverage issues litigation
- Superior and State Courts throughout Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia
- Defense Research Institute – DRI
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Lawyers Foundation of Georgia
- Savannah Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Member of the Isle of Hope United Methodist Church, where he is active in missions and teaching. Supporter of Mission On The Move in Honduras, Mexico and Kenya. Supporter of the Appalachia Service Project.
- Supporter of the Boy Scouts of America through the Coastal Empire Council.
- Weston v. Dunn Transp., 304 Ga. App. 84, 695 S.E.2d 279 (2010)
- Higgins v. Food Lion, Inc., 254 Ga. App. 221, 561 S.E.2d 440 (2002)
- Vickery v. Waste Management of Ga., Inc., 249 Ga. App. 659, 549 S.E.2d 482 (2001)
- Lee v. Food Lion, 243 Ga. App. 819, 534 S.E.2d 507 (2000)
- Georgia Forestry Com’n v. Canady, 280 Ga. 825, 632 S.E.2d 105 (2006)
- Lightsey v. Nalley Equipment Leasing, Ltd., 209 Ga. App. 73, 432 S.E.2d 673 (1993)
- Jaquillard v. Home Depot U.S.A., Inc., 2012 WL 527418 (S.D. Ga. 2012)
- Clark v. Schofield, 632 F. Supp.2d 1350 (M.D. Ga. 2009)
- Dotson v. Allen, 2007 WL 4256970 (S.D. Ga. 2007)
*AV ®, BV ®, AV Preeminent ® and BV Distinguished ® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubble certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-HubbellⓇ Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.